Always geeting Error message on iPhone

topics regarding problems or bugs in btraced

Always geeting Error message on iPhone

Postby elythomaslumber » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:19 pm

Hi!

trying to get btraced running with my server since some days but don't know how to continue. I'm going out if ideas....

The PHP file on my server does receive the XML data once (e.g. latitude & longditude).
But then my iPhone receives an Error message: "ERROR Error receiving server answer. Please check your server URL..."
I got the warning sign on the phone and after switching tracking off I see "Live 0/14 (0%)" for example.

I'm using the PHP script found in this forum but the sql part is removed.
The php script is running on a Raspberry Pi whezzy (Debian).
Server is Apache 2.2.22
PHP ist Version 5.
iPhone 4S iOS 6.1.3

I'm using it for my home automation with DOMOTICZ.
Therefore the calculation and etc. part to switch devices dependent on the current location of my iPhone.

I'm a "medium-noob". PHP5 and APACHE2 is running but maybe I have to reconfigure the php.ini or something on the Apache config file?

Any idea from an expert?

Thanks a lot!

Regards

Hardy
elythomaslumber

Re: Always geeting Error message on iPhone

Postby smfunder » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:39 pm

Hello Hardy,

Thank you for your comments. Actually it seems the server is not sending correctly the answer back to Btraced iPhone. Remember that the php should send the output in JSON format of which points were correctly added to the server. This should be done with a simple echo function.

Please verify that the output is actually sent from your server to the iPhone.

Still, if you can't get it to work please let us know.
Thank you,
Santiago
smfunder
Site Admin

Postby elythomaslumber » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:43 pm

Hi Santiago!

thanks for your feedback! Got it working meanwhile. There were some unwanted characters in the JSON answer.

But I have an additionally question. I'm using btraced to switch devices on my home automation system Domoticz.
Therefore I calulate the distance between my home and the iPhone via btraced.

This morning the battery was empty. Yesterday I started with 100% battery, no WLAN, no bluetooth, GPS only active for btraced.
Did a 1.1km walk, stopped (let btraced still active) and returned after 6h after an additionally 1.1km walk.
7 waypoints where uploaded.

Have following settings:

- tracking on
- run in background on
- Add point on turn off
- include points... 30m
- Distance Update interval 300m
- time filter off
- real time upload on
- Upload all when Stops off

Are those settings ok for minimal battery use? I used before Google Latitude and with this battery consumption was ok.

Regards

Hardy
elythomaslumber

Postby smfunder » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:44 pm

Hi Hardy,

Thanks for your comments. Regarding the battery usage, unfortunately it is something we can't manage very well as it is handled by the device itself. Even if the iPhone have a year it will drop the battery faster.

Technically there is a way to use less battery, but it only works on big cities with lot of mobile antenas. Otherwise we lose all the precision. So we rather prefer to offer a precision tool with battery usage than a product with bad precision and unpredicted points in the trips. We will try to focus on better performance on the battery usage, but as how the iOS internally manage the GPS location it will be complicated.

Still, so far to save some battery you can change the "Include points with accuracy..." setting. Instead of using 30 m, you can switch to 100 m. That would save some more battery, or if you don't require high precision you can use 300 m. Please note that this will change the way the system gets the location, switching from GPS to other methods, so other methods may not report the current position very often, or with high precision. But it is a deal between battery usage and precision. Play around with it for the best settings that suits you.

Thank you,
Santiago
smfunder
Site Admin

Postby elythomaslumber » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:54 am

Hi Santiago!

thanks a lot for your feedback. Since I don't need high precision I will change to 300m and check if this is ok for my kind of usage.
I need only an indication if I left my home area or if I arrive at my home area. This should be precise enough.

Regards

Hardy
elythomaslumber

Return to Report Problems or bugs